What does a school governor do?
Effective governing bodies work in close partnership with the headteacher in making decisions. The head,not the governing body, is responsible for the day-to-day leadership and management of the school.
The responsibilities of the governing body are defined in law. They are predominantly strategic and include:
- being accountable for the performance of the school;
- being involved in the planning the future direction of the school;
- promoting high standards of educational attainment;
- ensuring targets are set for pupil achievement;
- taking general responsibility for the conduct of the school;
- monitoring the school’s budget, including key staffing decisions;
- making sure the curriculum is balanced, broadly based and complies with legal requirements;
- making sure that the school provides for all its pupils, including those with special educational needs;
- in our church school, foundation governors are expected to help preserve and develop the school’s Christian character.
The governing body’s formal work and decision-making is undertaken in meetings. Their workload is managed by delegating some tasks to committees or other small groups. Committees specialise in one of a number of areas, typically curriculum, finance, staff and premises matters.
The governing body is made up of:
- parent governors
- staff representatives
- local authority governors (appointed by the local authority)
- Co-opted governors (members of the local community appointed by the governing body)
- foundation governors ( appointed by the relevant religious body)
|Governor||Appointment Type||Appointed by||Appointment ends|
|Mrs Becky Dolby-Molson||Ex-Offio/Head||RISE|
Mr Eric Fowler
|Mrs Lisa Shepherd (Vice Chair)||Foundation||Offico||30/03/2024|
|Mr Daniel Showler||Co-opted||LGB||15/01/2021|
|Mrs Verity Morris||Foundation||LGB||21/11/2022|
|Mrs Wendy Parker||Foundation||LGB||31/01/2022|
MEETING DATES 2020-2021
Monday 12th October 2020
Monday 14th December 2020
Monday 8th February 2021
Monday 12th April 2021
Monday 24th May 2021
Monday 5th July 2021